These breakfast egg bites are a great way to make sure you eat protein in the morning. I make them ahead and pop them in a freezer bag and then they are ready to pop directly from freezer into the microwave for a quick bite as you head out the door. This recipe is easily adaptable with alternate filling ingredients: different cheeses, breakfast meats, cheese and vegetables all can adapt this recipe to your personal preferences.
They are also a great appetizer, especially if you glam up the filling ingredients, I suggest you try smoked salmon, a dollop of cream cheese and chopped fresh dill, or crabmeat, swiss cheese and spinach.
You can even make this recipe without the crescent roll dough to make it a bit healthier. When doing so, make sure to really spray the cups well with cooking spray so that the bottoms will not stick. I line the bottom of the cup with fresh spinach leaves when making them this way. Then just follow the recipe as written.
Alternate add ins for fillings are:
diced artichoke hearts
diced fresh tomatoes
crumbled sausage or sliced turkey sausage
diced ham chunks
chopped fresh herbs like parsley, basil or dill
chopped cooked seafood like shrimp, crab or salmon
Alternate cheeses like swiss, feta, or even a dollop of cream cheese
Get creative! I make them differently every time I make them.
Let me know what great combinations you come up with in my comments section PLEASE!
- 1 package crescent rolls
- 6 large eggs
- ½ cup milk or half and half
- ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon steak seasoning
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Open crescent roll package and lay dough flat on lightly floured board with all edges touching.
- Pinch together seams of dough and roll out slightly until you have one complete sheet of dough.
- Cut dough into 12 equal squares with a sharp knife.
- Spray muffin tin cups individually with cooking spray.
- Place a square of dough into each tin and press gently to sides of cup so make room for filling.
- Sprinkle bacon into bottom of each cup and top with a small sprinkle of cheese.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs well until fully blended and slightly frothy.
- Whisk in milk or half n half and salt.
- Pour egg mixture evenly into cups.
- Top egg mixture with a sprinkle of steak seasoning and another sprinkle of cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until cake tester comes out of middle of bite clean.
- These can be cooled completely and frozen.
- Just pop right out of freezer into the microwave for 30-45 seconds for a quick morning meal.