Keto, Paleo and Whole 30 Friendly
I got an Instant Pot from my kids for Christmas, and I am totally in love with it! My favorite two things about it are #1: The saute function that lets me build up flavor in the pot before I do the super fast pressure cooking and #2: The fact that I can throw in frozen meat and/or veggies and still have dinner on the table in less than 45 minutes!
I have been busy converting some of my favorite recipes for use in my new Instant Pot, and this is a recipe that is definitely better cooked in the Instant Pot rather than in a crockpot, which is how I typically would prepare Italian Beef. The saute function allows the browning of the roast prior to cooking that adds a ton of flavor and color to the meat.
For traditional service, this recipe is typically served in a hoagie bun, with provolone cheese melted over top. I usually provide dishes of both mild and hot pepper rings for each person to add on top of the melty, cheesy goodness – according to their particular taste. I do not have a picture yet of the dish served this way as we ate the keto version only this time. This recipe is great for a keto cook to serve for a family meal, because you can provide buns for those that eat them and still have your meal fully ketogenic.
Best of all this recipe is ketogenic diet friendly, which is the eating plan I am currently following. The keto macros on this Italian Beef are 7% Carb, 34% protein and 69% Fat. To serve this recipe Keto style, simply serve over a good mashed cauliflower recipe like my new fave, Cauliflower Mash with a Kick, instead of in a bun. The big Keto bonus with this recipe is that I save the savory pickled beef broth in mason jars as well. The broth is a great afternoon snack that warms my belly on a cold winter day and saves me from craving an afternoon sweet fix. I just pop the lid off and warm up half a cup as desired. This broth is also great added to any beef soup recipe to give an intriguing depth of flavor.
- 3 - 4 pound chuck roast
- 2 T Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 2 t Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
- 2 t Penzey's Roasted Garlic
- 2 t Penzey's Frozen Pizza Seasoning (or another good Italian blend seasoning)
- 3 T Coconut Oil
- 1 12-16 oz jar mild banana pepper rings
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced thinly
- Cut chuck roast into smaller pieces that will fit flat into the bottom of your size Instant Pot.
- Thickly coat both sides of each piece of meat with steak seasoning, salt, garlic and Italian seasoning. Don't be concerned with amount of seasonings, it is important to aggressively season to get good flavor!
- Turn on saute function of Instant Pot and melt 2 T coconut oil and sear both sides of half the chuck roast pieces. Make sure to sear in two batches so that they brown well and do not get crowded which causes steam and not optimum browning.
- Rest seared meat on plate between batches.
- Turn off saute function on your Instant Pot.
- Pour entire jar of peppers and all the liquid from the jar into the Instant Pot.
- With a wooden spatula, scrape up all the seared meat bits from bottom of pan into the mixture.
- Place all seared chuck roast pieces over the peppers and liquid.
- Cover the meat with the onion slices.
- Secure Instant Pot lid and make sure your vent is set to seal, not venting position.
- Use Meat button on Instant Pot and set for 60 minutes.
- At end of hour, let Instant Pot cool naturally for 15-30 minutes.
- Open pot and take out meat pieces onto a large cutting board.
- Remove all visible fat from meat and discard.
- Shred meat with two forks.
- Strain liquid from peppers and onions, and if desired, store broth in mason jars.
- Add peppers and onions to the shredded meat.
- The broth can be stored in mason jars in the fridge for about a week, or transferred to plastic freezer containers and frozen. The shredded meat may also be frozen in freezer bags.
Please let me know if you make this recipe and how you enjoyed it. Also, I always welcome any alternate serving suggestions and fun modifications you made to the recipe to make it your own. Enjoy!