I recently have been working on developing a series of crockpot freezer recipes, and here is the first one finally! They are really great because I can prepare the freezer packets in bulk, have them handy in the freezer and then pop them into the crockpot, usually with a few more ingredients added at the beginning or end of the crockpot cooking process, and I have a great meal with little fuss the day of cooking!
I also like to share these freezer packets with my adult children – it’s a great way for mom to be able to still cook for them. Makes my momma heart so happy! And, when my elderly parents and in-laws return from Florida, it will be a great way to help them out with meals as well. These meals would also make a great gift for a new mom or someone who is recovering from an illness and unable to easily cook for themselves.
I also want to mention that one of my favorite ingredients for clean eating and health is Bone Broth, which is featured in this recipe and my photo. Bone broth, which is stock made by cooking the bones of the chicken until it releases all the collagen and protein, is like liquid gold! It contains tons of nutrients that your body needs to build strength and vigor. I use it for soups, stews and to cook rice, pasta and couscous; just about any chance I get to get that extra boost of nutrition and flavor. When I cook a chicken or turkey I make it from scratch with lots of flavorful veggie scraps like onion skins, celery leaf, carrot tops and other goodies and then keep it in my freezer. But I always have my pantry stocked with Pacific brand organic bone broth as well. They have a lovely version that has lemongrass in it as well that is super delicious to just sip on when you need a warm tasty boost.
- 1 - 1½ pounds of chicken breast or thigh meat cut into one inch cubes
- 3 T flour
- 1 t Canadian Steak Seasoning
- 1 clove fresh garlic, grated
- 1 - 1½ T curry powder ( I adore Penzey's Sweet Curry Powder)
- 1 cup sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup carrot, peeled and sliced into thick coins
- 1 cup mango, peeled and cubed
- 1 small zucchini, cubed
- ½ red pepper, cut into one inch chunks
- 1 cup sweet onion, slivered
- 8 ounce package of Pacific organic Bone Broth or 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ cup coconut cream (can use coconut milk if that is all you can find, but I like the thickness of the coconut cream)
- ¼ cup golden raisins and/or chopped cashews for garnish.
- Label your gallon freezer bag with contents and date. Also be sure to indicate to add 8 ounces of Bone Broth or Chicken Stock at cooking time.
- Combine chicken chunks with flour, steak seasoning, garlic and curry powder in a gallon freezer bag.
- Toss to evenly coat chicken.
- Add in sweet potatoes, carrots, mango, zucchini, red pepper and onion.
- Lay flat and press air out of bag and seal.
- Place filled freezer bag in freezer for 2-3 hours lying flat.
- Once frozen solid, you can store flat bags upright in freezer to save space.
- When ready to cook, take bag out of freezer and leave on counter for 30 minutes or so to slightly thaw contents enough to get them out of bag easily.
- Empty entire contents of freezer bag into crock pot and add 8 ounces (one cup) Bone Broth or chicken stock.
- Cook on low setting for 6 hours or high for 3 hours.
- Please note: Every crockpot is a little different. Keep a close eye on yours and add more stock if needed. Curry is done when chicken is cooked through to your liking and the vegs are soft.
- At end of cooking time stir in ½ cup coconut milk.
- Serve hot over rice and garnish with golden raisins and/or chopped cashews.